May 14, 2013
Strong sales drive Powerball to $360 million!
One-two jackpot punch this week with $170 million Mega Millions pot tonight
INDIANAPOLIS - Strong sales nationwide have caused Multi-State Lottery (MUSL) officials to raise Wednesday's Powerball jackpot estimate from $350 million to $360 million.
Players in Indiana have until 9:58 p.m. (Eastern) Wednesday to purchase their shot at the $360 million jackpot.
Hoosier Lottery players are not only familiar with seeing big jackpots; they're also familiar with winning them. Hoosier Lottery retailers lead the nation in selling jackpot-winning tickets, with 38.
A Hoosier Lottery player in Brazil, Ind., laid claim to the very first Powerball jackpot win in the first drawing in April 1992, and since then, Indiana has gone on to win the Powerball jackpot 37 more times.
Two of the top-10 biggest wins in the game's history, $314.3 million and $295 million, were also scored in Indiana.
TOP POWERBALL JACKPOTS WON IN INDIANA:
- $314.3 million won by Coterel-Hiles Family of Dayton, OH on ticket purchased at Speedway in Richmond in August 2007
- $295.7 million claimed by Lucky 13 Trust on ticket purchased at Speedway in Richmond in July 1998
- $221.7 million won by Darin Fox and Todd Reardon on ticket purchased at Clarksville Circle K in Clarksville in April 2011
- $165 million claimed by GMTR Investments, LLC on ticket purchased at Circle K in Lawrenceburg in January 2009
- $89 million claimed by Tim and Pam Rivers on ticket purchased at Cowboy's Food Store in Salem in March 2004.
The mission of the Hoosier Lottery is to maximize net income for the state in a socially-responsible manner. In fiscal year 2012, the Hoosier Lottery generated $211 million in surplus revenue which was used to significantly reduce the motor vehicle excise tax for all Hoosier drivers and also supported the pension funds for retired Indiana teachers, police and firefighters. Player prizes for the fiscal year totaled $533 million and $60 million was earned by Indiana retailers on the sale of Hoosier Lottery products.
Since its inception in 1989, the Hoosier Lottery has produced more than $4.2 billion for the citizens of Indiana, $1 billion in commissions and bonuses for participating Indiana retailers, and has paid out more than $8.9 billion in player prizes.
The Hoosier Lottery reminds all players to play responsibly. Must be 18 or older to play. Gambling Addiction Referral Line: 800-994-8448.
For more information, please contact Al Larsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-264-4805 or Betsy Gutierrez at email@example.com or 317-264-4852.
Hoosier Lottery, Powerball and Mega Millions logos are available for download here.